people power?

Saturday, March 01, 2008

I’ve come to a realization that I've become apathetic to the current political situation in the country. I'm not really sure if it's because of my schedule or it's because I've been disillusioned. Ang sad pakinggan, whatever the reason may be.

I can blame it all on my schedule and say I know nothing about what's happening because I'm asleep when the rest of the country is awake. Sure, it has something to do with it but it's not the real reason. I think that if I look deep inside myself, I’d have to say I’ve become apathetic because it seems like we’ve always resorted to people power whenever we don’t like something about the government.

I’m not saying that this current scandal is trivial. Far from it. I am outraged that the very people we placed in power are the same people that are screwing the country over. What I’m trying to say is that it we’ve become too into the people power movement.

I am very proud of the 1st people power revolution and even if I wasn’t in EDSA during that time (I was at home watching from the sidelines, and I honestly would have loved to be there but I was too young.) It’s a part of our history that every Filipino should be proud of. But when we, as a nation, think it’s always the solution to everything wrong with the government, it makes me wonder. When will it stop?

It’s probably unrealistic of me at this time, that we should change the way we solve things. It would probably take another lifetime for us to change the way things are run here, but we should start somewhere.

Yesterday, I was on my way home when the bus I was riding passed by the thousands of people marching to Ayala. I felt sad because you know what I first thought? “Hay, rally na naman.”

And it is sad, believe me. Especially if it came from a full blooded Scholastican. My whole grade school and high school life in St. Scho, taught me to fight for what I think is right. To be part of a movement that will change the world. Since I can remember whenever there’s a political issue plaguing the country, I’ve been part of it. I’ve been to my share of rallies with our school officials; I’ve marched from school to the Senate. Even when I studied in DLSU, I brought that socially aware Kulasa in me. When I used to work in the Makati area, count on me to be there whenever there’s a big rally.

Kaya nalulungkot ako sa naging reaction ko kahapon.

When I was watching the news and I saw the throngs of people in Makati, I thought maybe if I was still working in the Makati area, I would have had a different reaction. Because there’s a different kind of rush when you’re in a situation like that. And I felt proud when I saw the banners of St. Scho and DLSU. I was especially proud that Sister Mary John and Bro. Armin were in the forefront.

Yes, the ZTE/NBN scandal is an outrage. It’s at par with the Garci Scandal. And it’s infuriating that the people in power are involved in it, screwing us over, while there are millions of Filipinos who are hungry, living hand to mouth, no healthcare, no education.

Natatawa ako sa sarili ko. As I write this, I’m beginning to feel differently. I’ve become furious how people like that stay in power. Maybe I just needed to wake the sleeping, indignant, activist in me. ;)

0 comments: