AI finale

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The American Idol producers redeemed themselves in my eyes. After 3 disappointing episodes (Chris eliminated, Elliot eliminated, last night's lackluster performances by the 2 finalists), the finale more than made up for it.

Congratulations to the Soul Patrol! As predicted by Simon the night before, Taylor won. :)

The show was opened by current American Idol, Carrie Underwood, followed by Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee, singing Barry Manilow's "I Made It Through the Rain". Surprise! The other 10 semi-finalists joined them.

For the next two hours, the show was filled by special production numbers with the top 5 and their idols: Paris Bennett with Al Jarreau, Chris Daughtry with LIVE (wooohoo!); Elliot Yamin with Mary J. Blige (who hogged the spotlight, bigtime. BOOO!).

Worst duets? The ones with the finalists. Meatloaf was out of tune all throughout the number and I felt sorry fo McPhee, even if I don't like her that much anymore. Taylor also had a duet with Toni Braxton. I only have one word for it: awkward.

The guys and the girls had separate production numbers. They also performed with Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick. Kevin Covais looked out of place with the guys. And what was that he sang? Pussycat something. It was weird. Haha!

Oh, and I love Elliot's mom, Claudette. :) She's so precious. She even got a Golden Idol award. :p

An the best part of the show? When Michael Sandecki, a Clay Aiken wannabe, sang and then the real Clay Aiken comes out (oops, no pun intended) and sings, "Don't Let the Sun Go Down". The guy's reaction was priceless! It was the best superfan moment. I was so happy for him and I kept laughing the whole time.

Oops! I almost forgot. Prince also performed.

I think this is the best American Idol finale ever. Nevermind if my bets didn't win. The finale more than made up for it.

Till the next American Idol!

Hmmm.. I wonder how the Philippine Idol would fare. I hope it won't be mediocre.

8 comments:

graveyaaaarrd_zombie said...

i agree with you on the worst duets. what the hell was wrong with meatloaf and toni braxton? were they both drunk?

now we know where elliott got his endearing qualities. i so love his mom! :) one of my favorite parts of the show was when claudette yamin introduced his son and said "my elliott yamin." :)

>><<
congrats taylor and soul patrol!!!!!!!!! weeeeee!!!

Vikkicar said...

I didn't see the whole show. Dang. Missed that LIVE and Daughtry moment. I did see Yamin and Blige, I'm happy for Elliot. Have a fine week. God Bless.

russ.â„¢ said...

Hi Jennie,
Hmm. I kinda hoped that Katherine would win. She has this celebrity aura in her.Ü

So, how's everything? It's been a while since I last visited. I hope you're doing great. Take care!

Kai said...

Poor McPhee talaga. According to an article released today, Meatloaf can even hardly remember that he had a duet with Katharine. Like, wtf. I knew he was on something. Hahaha. Weirdo.

kat said...

I thought Meatloaf was looking at Katherine's cleavage kaya distracted siya. :)

I agree! That Michael Sandecki and Clay Aiken moment was so priceless!

Jennie said...

JAR: i think they had drinks together backstage. hahaha!

ang sweet ni elliot at ng mom nya no? and i love it that he's so in touch with his emotions (crybaby? :p) i hope he gets a record deal soon. :)

vikkicar hello! sayang you didn't see chris with live. ang galeng! i think it's on youtube.com, you can check it out. :)

russ hi! :D yup, kath had star-aura. kya lang i got turned off coz naging cocky sha. i'm sure she'll make it big though. :)

i'm okay. :) how are you na? sorry i haven't been able to bloghop as much as i used to. i hope you're doing great!

Jennie said...

kai: hahaha! ang weird ni meatloaf. he has stage fright daw. shucks, wawa talaga si macphee. i watched that performance again (toture to the ears :p) and natawa ako sa expression nya nung sintunado si meatloaf. she was like, "wtf did i get myself into?" LOL!

kat: ahahaha! oo nga. kahit ako nadistract eh. :p

priceless talaga. mega-fan moment. haha!

Natasha said...

Hicks won the final and I think that he was the best.