Ultraelectromagneticjam

Sunday, December 04, 2005

DSCP1 002DSCP1 003My siblings and I went to the mall last Friday, before going home. We were going to buy a gift for our little nephew, Keane, who is turning 2 today. :)

After picking out a gift for Keane, I also got the latest issue of Cosmo Mag (monthly staple for me), and the Eraserheads' Tribute CD, UltraElectroMacneticJam*the music of the Eraserheads, for myself.

UltraElectroMacneticJam features some of the biggest names in the local music industry today and their rendition of some of the Eraserhead's classic songs. If you're Pinoy and you don't know who the Eraserheads are, kawawa ka naman. :p Go to the nearest branch of Tower Records or any music store and find out who they are. :)

The Eraserheads stormed their way into the Philippine Music scene in the early nineties and captured the hearts (and ears? :p) of the people. Pare Ko, Toyang, and Tindahan ni Aling Nena will forever have great memories of freshman year in College for me.

I know I kinda suck at reviews, coz I tend to gush. Hahahah! But really, I think the E-heads are amazing. It's a damned shame that they disbanded a few years ago.

Since I don't see a glimmer of a reunion anytime soon (I hope I am wrong!), I'll content myself with listening to their old cds and the tribute cd, Ultraelectromagneticjam.

As a whole, I liked the CD. I think it's worth my P300. The best tracks for me are: Tikman by Sugarfree (kaboses ni Ebe si Ely :p), a very soothing Huwag Kang Matakot by Orange and Lemons, Huwag Mo Nang Itanong by MYMP (my all time favorite Eheads song); and Huling El Bimbo by (hold your breaths) Rico J. Puno. Astig! Nakaka-aliw. Alcohol by Radioactive Sago Project was so funny. They made it sound like their hit song, Astro. It was so good, I even forgot how the original sounded like. :D

Magasin
by Paolo Santos, Overdrive by Barbie Almalbis, and Ligaya by Kitchie Nadal, were so-so versions. I mean, they were ok versions, but there was nothing remarkable about it. Parang madaling makalimutan. Pare Ko was performed by Spongecola, and Yael sounded like he really enjoyed singing the chorus - ang lutong! :p

The other songs on the album are: Spoliarium by Imago, Torpedoby Isha, Superproxy2K6 by Francis M, featuring Ely Buendia, Maling Akala by Brownman Revival (hehehe. funny yung video nito) and Para Sa Masa sung by everyone in the album. It must've been an enjoyable recording session, judging from the way they sounded and the by the pictures that were in the sleeves of the cd.

Actually, I like all but 3 of the songs on the cd. Let me rephrase that, I like all but 3 of the renditions of the songs on the cd. I didn't like South Border's take on With a Smile. They re-arranged it and made it an R&B song. I dunno, but it sounded awful to me. They should have thought of this before doing a different arrangement: IF IT ISN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT. The song is perfect the way it is, when they toyed around with the arrangement, the song didn't sound any better. It sounded pilit.

The reason for disliking 2 other songs, Alapaap and Hard to Believe, is kinda mababaw. I don't like it for the simple reason that I didn't like who sang it. At the risk of getting the ire of their fans, I think 6cyclemind (sorry DK) and Cueshe ruined the songs for me. Alapaap by 6cm sounded like a rocked out April Boy version. Everytime I hear it, a picture of April Boy pops in my head, and believe me when I say that it's not a pretty picture. :p

Don't let me get started on Cueshe, please. Pero, Nampoocha naman! Anong ginagawa nila dun?! Nasira talaga yung kanta. Let's just leave it at that. Haha!

Despite the three songs I disliked, UltraElectroMagneticJam (the first album of the Eheads was UltraElectroMagneticPop) is a keeper. You're going to enjoy it, but if you're a die-hard Eheads fan, I suggest you just listen to your original cds, coz after all, nothing's better than the original. :)

15 comments:

dennah said...

hehehey!!! si odet nanood ng launch ng ultra-jam sa UP, ticket comes with the cd! asteg! panalo imago, sugarfree, francis m at si rico j! hehe! kakatawa radioactive. pasensya na talaga sa mga fans ng cueshe pero sabi ni odet they were booed daw sa launch. eh kasi naman eh....in fairness, maayos ang version ng mymp. si barbie naman.... sana english song na lang kinanta nya...

sus, haba comment! :D

Anonymous said...

hi jennie!Ü so glad to be blogging right now. hehe. how are you? it's been a while since i last visited. anyhoos, i so want to have that cd. a lot of the other bloggers have it and have been writing really nice entries about it. i think you could never go wrong with e-heads. i think i'll go have my own copy this afternoon. hehe. take care jennie! hope to hear from you soon.

always,
rüss

Jennie said...

Hi Dins! Ang saya naman, nanood si Odet. Nangpucha baket ba naman kasi naisama-sama dun ang Cueshe? Ahahaha! naisip ko nga, baka binoo sila ng tao :lol:

kaaliw yung version ni rico j, chaka radioactive sago project. maganda sana kung kasama yung tindahan ni aling nena. bagay yun sa parokya. :)

Hello russ! how are you na? mega-busy ka na talaga ;) i've been okay, i hope you are too.

the cd is quite good, pero iba pa din talaga yung orig. sayang ang eheads, sana magkareunion soon.

take care always!

Giannina said...

anong meron sa cueshe? hehe. sabi daw ng mga kaibigan ko nung HS eh maganda naman daw yung mga kanta nila? nagpabili nga ako ng CD nila eh.. o_O

meron ako nung compilation album nila (anthology).. gusto ko din magkaron nito!! ^_^

Jennie said...

hi ninin. :) hmmm... cueshe is a band of poseurs, who ripped off the songs "the greatest view" by silverchair and "perfect" by simple plan, for their song, stay.

hehehe.. yun na yata yung pinaka-tame na definition ko sa kanila. :p

di ko pa nagagawa yung assignment mo para sa akin :D

kai said...

hi, jennie! i actually don't know all these new pinoy bands. parang bigla na lang nagsulputan isa-isa. lol. my all time favorite though is rivermaya (especially when bamboo was still with them, lol). eraserheads next and parokya. im glad that they have a tribute CD. i haven't heard of that but that's good get for christmas. have a nice weekend, jennie!

Kiss My Mike said...

I remember the movie Pare Ko with Claudine, Jao and JoMari. Grabe kilig na kilig ako that time. Hehe, babaw!

Jennie said...

hello kai. welcome back! :) ako din mas gusto ko yung rivermaya when bamboo was still with them. pero mas gusto ko pa din eheads :)

happy weekend!

hi kiss my mike. :) thanks for the visit.

hahaha! naaalala ko din yung movie na yun. :)

raissa said...

with all the good reviews of this cd I think I am going to get it. Yup, nothing beats the e-heads sayang. hehe ayaw mo rin pala sa Cueshe' add me to the list although I kinda like one of their songs and no its not "Stay" pansin ko it all sounds the same. LOL I liked RM when Bamboo was there but I LOVE Bamboo now LOL I watched their concert 2 times.

kat said...

Hi Jennie! I heard about the album about 2 weeks ago, and siempre, excited ako to get it. I love the E'heads, was devastated by their separation and like you, don't really foresee a reunion in the near future (but hoping I'm worng too). One thing that turned me off was when I heard that Cueshe would be playing. Sorry kung may fans nila out there, pero di ko talaga sila gusto. :( I do want to hear Rico J. Though. Astig siguro yun!

Jennie said...

hello raissa :) it's a good cd, but still, shempre mas maganda yung orig. nakoh! inis na inis ako sa cueshe.

ang saya manood ng concert ng bamboo :D haay.. guapo ni ira. haha!

hi kat! kaaliw yung huling el bimbo by rico j. puno. bagay sa kanya. as in nung una kon narinig, naimagine ko na kinakanta nya yun complete with a 70s wardrobe, parang yung sa video. hahahaha!

cueshe? di dapat pag-aksayahan ng pera. hahahaha! naku, ayan na, madami magagalit na fans sa akin. heehee!

Anonymous said...

anu nmn ang masama sa pagsali ng CUESHE' and 6CYCLEMIND???
eh parehas nmn clang malupet..
plsss lng ha...kung mkalaiit k nmn ng banda akala mo magling ka??
eh ang 22o wla ka nmang alam!!!

mabuhay ka!!!

Jennie said...

first of all, if you're going to post insults, don't hide behind the anonymous tag. it's very cowardly.

second, you don't know me so you don't have the right to judge me.

third, this is my blog. I am free to write whatever I want. It's my opinion and I don't impose my opinions on others.

fourth, if you don't like what I have to say, then don't read it. I'm not forcing my thoughts on anyone.

tina said...

nice review you have here. definitely i'm buying the album.. =)

cueshe' were booed at the launch?!? haha! kasi naman, pilit ung pagkanta nila (kahit anong song..) and they can't even do live. just listen to their music videos, ung mga live version nila. nahihirapan pa sila kumunta..

thanks for this review! =)
good day!

Jennie said...

hi tina :) thanks for the visit.

hehehe... no comment ako sa band na yun. but yeah, a friend said they were booed.