the week that was

Saturday, November 05, 2005

The past week was eventful, which was why I haven't blogged until today. Hehehe, okay, that's not entirely true. It was eventful but I also didn't feel like blogging. :-p

October 30, 2005: My family and I went to Loyola Memorial Park in Paranaque, to vist mom. We decided to go earlier and not on All Saint's Day, because we didn't want to go with the crowd. We arrived at 7am and compared to the people we see there every Sunday, the people visiting their loved one's graves has significantly increased. We also noted the increase in flower & candle vendors along Sucat Road and the number of food establishments set up in Loyola.

Although I was already used to visiting mom's gravesite, last Sunday was different because it was the first All Saint's Day holiday that we're visiting her. :-(

When we got there, it felt like my heart was being crushed, but after a few minutes I felt normal (whatever normal is for me :-p). We had our usual breakfast picnic and observed the people around us.

We left before lunch and realized we made the right decision in going to Loyola early. As we left Loyola, we saw the traffic jam on the southbound lanes of Sucat Road. Had we left the house on our usual time, we would probably have been caught in that traffic jam.

October 31 was rest day for us. There was no trick or treating this year, because the president of our homeowner's association passed away 2 months after mom. I guess with her gone, the other members didn't feel like continuing the tradition. Sayang. I'm sure the kids in our neighborhood missed that, too. Aside from the usual TV show Halloween presentations, it didn't feel like Halloween, coz I didn't see little ghosts and ghouls shouting "trick or treat".

All Saint's Day: My family and I went to Rizal to visit our paternal grandfather's and great grandparent's final resting place. I hadn't been there in years and I was pleasantly surprised that our more than 2 hour drive, was now reduced to an hour and a half.

It was drizzling when we got there, and although there were already a lot of people there, we were able to find a parking spot. Since we hadn't been there in a while, we weren't sure where our family plot was. My siblings and I had already walked quite a distance when we looked back and saw dad waving at us, indicating that he found it. To our surprise, the famly plot was exactly where we had parked the car. As in, katapat lang. Hahaha! Kakaiba, kasi parang nireserve yung parking space just for us, tapos katapat pa mismo ng puntod nila lolo. :-)

After that, we went to our lola's house. Nakasalubong pa namin sha, dahil pupunta din sha sa libingan nila lolo. I don't recall when we last went there, I guess it's been 4 years, and it was nice to see the changes. One thing that hasn't changed though was the usual, "uy, ang taba mo ngayon" greeting from my lola's sister-in-law, who lives in the same compound. Gah! Sana nagbago din yung greeting, kaso hindi eh. Hahaha!

DSCP1_005 It was the first time I saw our niece, Gwen, who's already 7 months old and is starting to walk (altough not on her own yet). She is so cute! Pink-cheeked and wide eyed. Nakakagigil!!

At first she was wary of us coz it was, after all, the first time she saw us. You could tell she was curious though, coz she kept looking at us. After a while, she let me carry her already. :-)

I haven't uploaded the other pictures I took of her, yet. But I will post it as soon as I do.

November 2: My sister and I went to the new 168 Mall in Divisoria. I have been wanting to go there since I saw it featured a couple of months ago on the show, F on Studio23.

We picked up my friend, Ria, at Mcdo Taft, beside my alma mater, and we proceeded to DiVi. It was almost 10 when we arrived, so traffic was already slow-moving.

168 was like DiVimall, but it was cleaner (maybe because it just opened), the aircon was cooler and there reletively fewer people. There was still quite a number of people there, but we could still walk without much difficulty.

Ang daming mabibili and if you know how to haggle, you'll get your money's worth there. Pero please lang, kung pupunta ka ng Divi, don't dress up like you're going clubhopping. Dress comfortably and low-key, and don't expect to get good bargains if you talk like this: "Manong, how much is this? Wow, it's so mura." Natatawa na lang ako at napapa-iling pag nakakakarinig ako ng ganun sa Divi.

The foodcourt on the 3rd floor was a mix of Chinese, Filipino and Japanese cuisine. Although there's more Chinese food there (kasi puro Chinese yung stall owners :-p)

After lunch, we went to Landmark, Makati, because we decided to wait for my brother's class to end. It's funny how I was able to buy more things there than at 168. :) But at least I was able to buy what I needed to buy at Divi. :)

0 comments: