the current situation

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I was supposed to go to Makati today, submit my tax declaration at the BIR (uy, ang bait :p - ayokong magaya kila Juday. hahaha!), then drop by the office. It's a good thing I decided not to go because there's a massive rally going on (organized by the people who want President Gloria Arroyo to resign) at the Ayala Avenue-Paseo de Roxas intersection in the Makati Central Business District.

The long stretch of Ayala Avenue, Paseo de Roxas, parts of Makati and Rufino Avenues, de la Rosa and Sedeno Streets have been closed to vehicular traffic since dawn. Roads which I will have to traverse to the office. I would either walk to the office or stay stalled in the car, coz of the traffic jam the road closures would have caused. Both of which I have no intention of doing.

Normally, I try to steer clear of polical situations, even though being a Scholastican from Prep to HS, has taught me to be socially aware and opinionated. This time I can't be a fence-sitter and just watch as things unfold. I have to make a stand, coz it affects our future.

I agree that PGMA has done some good things and the "Hello Garci" tapes may have been a lapse in judgement, but when 7 out of 10 Filipinos have already lost confidence in her to lead the country, she should seriously think about giving up her office. How can a person successfully lead a nation who doesn't believe in her anymore? The legal community may argue that the "Hello Garci" tapes will not stand in any court, because wiretapping is illegal in the country. But that doesn't change that fact that it happened.

Now former President Ramos and the Speaker of the House wants a Charter change, in order to change the form of government from a Presidential to a Parliamentary system. That's a load of crap! It's not the form of government nor the Constitution that has a problem, but the people running the government. Hay.. and they wonder why some people evade paying their taxes. I thik they do that because they don't want their hard earned money going to the pockets of the corrupt public official. We don't need a Charter change, we need a change in values.

God bless our country.

0 comments: