Happy Easter! :D

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter, everyone!!!


-------------------

I told myself that I wouldn't go online during Holy Week, as part of my sacrifice. I was able to do it for two days only (Maundy Thursday and Good Friday), but I did go online the rest of the week. I just didn't blog. :p

We spent the better part of Thursday cleaning the house - sort of like Spring cleaning, only there's no spring here and it's the middle of summer. Hehehe! My Friday was spent cleaning my room and in between breaks, I was doing my reflections. I don't know why, but cleaning makes me think more. It's like the more I clean, the more i come up with something in my head. I should fix my room more often. LOL!

On Saturday, my mom's sisters and their families went to the house to surprise mom. Needless to say it was an emotional day. Buckets of tears were shed (mostly tears of joy :) ) and laughter filled the air.

It was the secret plan I mentioned on my previous blog entry. :) Instead of our usual clan outing on Holy Week, our titas, tito and our cousins spent the day at our house. It was great seeing them again, and everyone, especially mom was happy to see them.

We spent the day eating, chatting, catching up on things, laughing and the occasional crying. Yep, we're an emotional bunch. :p The day seemed shorter and before we knew it, it was already time for them to go. It was kinda sad to see them go, but the joy we felt that they came and visited far outweighed it.

---------------------
This Holy Week, I veered away from the usual Holy Week TV fare. I didn't watch any of the Lenten Specials, instead, my tv was glued to CNN.

I was closely following the Terri Schiavo case, the brain-damaged woman in Florida and her family's battle with her husband to keep her alive. It's so so heart-wrenching. Her feeding tube was taken out 8 days ago, by order of the court, siding with her husband's claim that she didn't want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents contend that Terri wouldn't say that because of her faith, and that taking out her feeding tube wasn't mercy, but murder. Even the US Congress, Pres. Bush and his brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has tried to intervene, but the Federal courts, State Court and even the US Supreme Court has denied her parents appeal to reinsert the feeding tube.

Euthanasia has always been a sensitive case. Even I cannot say for sure where I'll side. I try to put myself in Terri's shoes. Would I want to be kept alive artificially or would I want my doctors to pull the plug? Would I sign a Do Not Resuscitate order or would I want them to do everything that they could possibly do to keep me alive?

On one hand it seems barbaric to pull the plug, and on the other hand, it seems merciful to end a person's suffering. My mind is telling me that euthanasia is merciful, but my heart is telling me that it is wrong. A person's right to live isn't determined by another person. It is not for us to say when someone's life has to end. Even if her doctors say that Terri Schiavo is in a permanent vegetative state, how sure are they that she really is? In interview with a lady who had a similar situation, but miraculously recovered, she said that when she was in a vegetative state, her mind was so alive. She could see and hear everything around her, but she couldn't express it. She couldn't move, she couldn't speak. She looked lifeless on the outside, but inside she was screaming that she was still alive.

I can only imagine how hard it is for Terri's parents to see her slowly die of starvation (oz her feeding tube was removed). And it seems to me that the US courts are heartless for giving the order to remove her feeding tube and for continually denying her parent's appeals. Shouldn't people embrace life and not death?

0 comments: