back from my forced hibernation

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Today is my mom and dad's 30th wedding anniversary. Galeng no? 30 years! And in this day and age, that's really an accomplishment.

Happy Anniversary, mom & dad!

It's also my cousin Geebee's birthday today. :) Happy birthday, Geebs!

--------------------
I've been sick for the past three days, must've been because of the change in the weather. I'm still not completely well, but I'm feeling better than I have the past couple of days. I have done nothing but sleep, eat and watch tv the whole time. Sounds nice, but it wasn't. Not when I'm achy all over and nursing almost 39 degree fevers.

I was able to watch the Oscar Awards yesterday - a super delayed, commercial-laden one. I hate it when Channel 9 has exclusive rights to air the show, because they blocked out all the cable channels showing it, too. Not like Studio 23 who had the rights to air it last year.

I had no choice but to endure the long commercial breaks. They even cut the show, even if it wasn't time for the commercials yet, just so they could accommodate the advertising blocks they sold. Nakakainis! The show was already done in the US and it was only halfway done here. I even saw on CNN who won the major awards 2 hours before channel 9 got to that part of the show. My eyes were already drooping because I was sick, but the long breaks made it worse. I fell asleep countless times, but I didn't really miss much.

The show was hosted by Chris Rock, whom you'd either love or hate. I never did like him and I've never been a fan of his brand of comedy - there's just nothing funny about bashing other people. And the way he bashed Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and other people on his opening monologue was harsh. Even Sean Penn, who took the stage as a presenter said, "With apologies to our host for my compromised sense of humor, I think Jude Law is one of our finest actors." Hahaha! I won't say anything more, coz I've been taught to keep my mouth shut if I have nothing nice to say. Or maybe I just preferred Billy Crystal's or Conan O'Brien's sense of humor. :)

So it's now 0-6 for Martin Scorsese, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Ditto for Leo diCaprio, Johnny Depp & Annette Bening. I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby yet, so I can't offer an opinion if Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood and the movie deserve the award. :) I think though that Morgan Freeman, Cate Blanchett and Jamie Foxx deserved their win. In my humble opinion, Morgan Freeman is a good actor, :) and I've always liked Cate Blanchett, she's been amazing in all her films I've watched (Elizabeth, The Gift, LOTR, etc.). Jamie Foxx scored a grand slam, winning Best actor for his performance in Ray, in all the major award-giving bodies. That says a lot about how good his performance was. And his speech was moving, the way he paid tribute to his grandbmother.

Because of the long breaks, I found the Oscar ceremonies quite boring. Maybe if it was fast-paced and not shown for 4 and a half hours here, I'd enjoy it more. Then again, maybe not. Even one of the nominees was caught sleeping, when Jeremy Irons presented an award. His wife had to nudge him awake, but she was too late. It was already shown to a billion people worldwide, how he was slouching on his chair, mouth slightly open, and he looked dazed for a second. He covered up the snafu, by pretending he was praying. Haha! Sorry, but he didn't fool anyone :p

--------------------
After 3 days of not going online, I had 139 unread emails in my yahoo inbox and 12 on my gmail. Of the 139 yahoo mails, 48 were legit and 91 were SPAM messages. 91! Sheesh.

I did check how many emails I got over on gprs. Now I think I'll have a relapse just thinking bout how big my cellphone bill will be next month. Yikes! That's why I love Globe's new G2P service. :) At least now I can cut off some of my cellphone bills when I think I'm over my plan limit. I can just switch to prepaid via text, and I'll still have the same number. Hehehe... so wala na talagang silbi yung Smart number ko.

2 comments:

russ.â„¢ said...

that is so sweet jen! i hope d and i would reach our 30th wedding anniversary. haha! :) im happy for your mom and dad. ...and i hope you get well. a lot of people are getting sick these days. drink lots of water and dont forget to take your medicine.

ps. got the invite. thank you so much! enjoy your day!

Jennie said...

hi russ! thanks :) i have no doubt you guys will reach your 30th and more ;)

thanks again. sucks getting sick, talaga. hehe.. no worries on the water, malapit na ako malunod sa dami ng iniinom kong tubig. hahaha!

ps: you're welcome :) have a wonderful weekend!