thank you, Lord

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Staying home on a Saturday night, there's nothing much to do but go online and surf or watch television. I'm doing both. :p Well, actually, I'm online and peeking from time to time while dad's watching tv.

There was this show that caught our attention and I felt a range of emotions as I listened to the show on the background. It was Boy Abunda's show, Kontrobersyal. Tonight's show tackled the growing hunger situation in the country.

I was incensed, saddened and I couldn't help but shed a tear over what I heard. It came as a shock learning that more people were digging for food in the trash, washes it, recooks, then resells it to others. I was SHOCKED. I mean, I know it's a sad reality that some people look for food in the trash, but I didn't expect that there would be people who'd make a living out of it. I don't know how I would feel about them. I don't want to judge them for what they're doing. On one hand they were driven to it by desperation, but on the other hand, let's face it, it's disgusting, it's unsanitary and it's inhuman.

When I see people driven by desperation to do something they wouldn't normally do, I can't help but be grateful, that compared to them, I'm living the good life. I may not be filthy rich, but my family & I live comfortably. We eat more than 3 times a day, we could afford some luxuries that our poor brothers and sisters could only dream of. My parents did everything they could to send us to prestigious schools. I've lived a privileged life, compared to them. And I thank God everyday that I have.

It makes me realize that there are some things I could live without, and that I shouldn't be wasteful. I should cherish what I have, and prepare for my future coz it all could change in an instant. I have a social responsibilty and I should do something about it in my own little way.

It's a good thing that through the efforts of Fr. Robert Reyes (yup, the running priest), restaurant owners from the Timog area, are setting up a Soup Kitchen, for our less privileged kababayans. It would certainly be a great help. But I also agree with some sectors that the less privileged should be given livelihood program opporunities, so they wouldn't just rely on the help others can give them. That way they could be self-suffient, which I think is good, coz it gives them their dignity.

-----------------------
I'm not feeling well. I think I'm going to be sick. Hay... I hate getting sick! I should turn off this computer now, so I could rest.

-----------------------
I decided to delete the Haloscan comment box, coz it only archives for a few months and it deletes the comments after that. Too bad I wasn't able to copy the previous comments. :(

2 comments:

Jajey said...

dont get sick! its hard to get sick

teka, what's that about haloscan? they delete comments??

Jennie said...

jajey: i just learned about it yesterday. they archive for a few months, but after that the comments get deleted. I checked my earlier entries and the comments were all gone. :( at least dito forever na nakapost yung comments :D

i'm sick :( boohoo! i think i have the flu. i've had fever whole day yesterday, and it's only now that I felt a bit better. pero kita mo naman, blog pa din ako :P hahaha! malala na ito :p