road trippin'

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

"Road trippin' with my two favorite allies
Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies
It's time to leave this town, it's time to steal away
Let's go get lost anywhere in the U.S.A.
Let's go get lost, let's go get lost...

-- Road Trippin' - Red Hot Chili Peppers"


--------------------
I miss going on roadtrips. I haven't been on a long roadtrip, since the last time we went to Baguio - and that was 3 years ago!

My family and I (along with several cousins), used to go to Baguio every summer. We would leave Las Pinas at 5 am, watch the sunrise while we're driving along North Expressway (usually we'd be in Pampanga by then), have breakfast at the Luisita mall in Tarlac and arrive in Baguio at 11 am, depending on what road we take (Naguilian Rd., Marcos Highway or the fastest way, Kennon Rd.).

We don't mind the long trip, other than having sore bums sometimes. We'd be so noisy in the car or van, several conversations going on at the same time, we'd play car games, eat, sleep (yup, kahit maingay may nakakatulog), and sing. Never a dull moment. Well, on rare times we'd be quiet, kasi either may mapipikon or may maliit kaming pinsan na mapapaiyak namin. But after a few miles, we'd be noisy again.

I remember one summer, my siblings and some cousins were so excited about our Baguio trip that we didn't sleep. Our parents were surprised to see us all dressed up and ready to go, when they woke up. We ended up sleeping in the van all the way to Baguio. Corny.

The next summer, we slept but got up very early, and ended up singing all the way to Baguio. If I remember it correctly, the Dawson Creek soundtrack (1st one) was on constant rotation that year, and even our parents memorized the songs. Haha!

I haven't gone on long roadtrips with friends, I think the longest was on the way to the beach in Batangas. Or was it Bataan? Hehehe.. di ko alam kung alin ang mas malayo :p It's always fun, pero bitin.

Hay... I wonder when my next roadtrip will be...

0 comments: