Sleep Paralysis - Castle of Spirits

Thursday, September 02, 2004

I chanced upon this ghost site after lunch and I started reading the "Unexplained Phenomena" page. This article was the first one that caught my eye. The title piqued my curiousity so I read it. And I am glad I did.

A couple of years back, I have experienced the following, as I woke in the middle of the night:

  • A feeling of being choked or suffocated
  • A feeling of someone pinning me down or sitting on me (my chest in particular)
  • hearing noises including footsteps and voices close by
  • seeing beings or dark shadows surrounding or standing near the bed
  • A frightening feeling of evil descending upon me
  • Shaking of the body or rumbling sensation (ringing) in the ears
  • A feeling of untold evil surrounding me or trying to suffocate me
  • Noises such as knocking or banging on the walls
  • The feeling of being in a dream like state but yet thinking I am awake

I thought all along that I was being visited by ghosts or evil spirits. At least now I have another explanation for it - Sleep Paralysis.

I was adamant that it wasn't bangungot, because I knew I was awake. I could hear my stereo on the background, I can see my room. It was terrifiying to experience, specially for someone who has a very active imagination and is a scaredy-cat. :p I couldn't sleep with the lights off for months for fear that it would happen again. And it did, almost once every week.

I was afraid to sleep, anticipating that it would happen again. And I would have a feeling that the "ghostly visit" was about to happen because I'd always have a tingling sensation before it does. And I would will myself to move or scream and I would, but the scream would only come out like a whisper or a low moan, but enough to really wake me up. But as I'll fall back to sleep again, I would feel it starting to happen. That's when I'd start praying the Lord's Prayer over and over until the terrifying feeling stops.

It's a weird experience and even if I'm not convinced that it's Sleep Paralysis just yet, I'd rather it be the reason than "ghostly visits".

It's a good thing that I haven't experienced it in the past two years. And I'd be glad to never experience it again.

------------------------------

I've had this song in my head for the past two days. I've heard 5 times since 6 am, thrice on the radio and twice since downloading it. Yup, that's how much I like the song. Aside from the melody, which is simple enough to sing along with by second time you hear it, I like the lyrics. I can relate to it somehow.

Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson

Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window
Dreaming of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray

Trying hard to reach out
But, when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I'd pray
I could break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
Make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But, I won't forget all the ones that I love
I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away

Wanna feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean
Get onboard a fast train
Travel on a jetplane, far away
And break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes till I touch the sky
Make a wish, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Out of the darkness and into the sun
I won't forget all the ones that I love
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging round revolving doors
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me
But, gotta keep moving on, moving on
Fly away, break away

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye
Take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But, I won't forget the place I come from
I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change
And break away
Break away
Break away

-------------------------

I almost forgot... I didn't listen to myself last night. I ate dinner, right after turning the pc off. Haaaaay....

♥ JeN


5 comments:

Joey said...

That's really scary. Glad it hasn't happened again.. and let's hope it never will!:)

Jennie said...

Amen to that, Joey! :D

Jennie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

hi, i've also experienced sleep paralysis last 8 years ago.. What's weird was that i only experience this when I'm in my own bedroom.. I've also experienced white beings walking in my room and like whispering to me gibberish words, and that I felt that i'm pinned down on my bed.. Almost often(4 days a week) I experience this kind of sensation that I was afraid to sleep at night and just waste my time watching tv and reading all night till it's morning. And one time I found a solution to breakaway from this state.. I tried turning on the tv while sleeping.. I will find a channel that mostly have conversations(may it be a movie or talk show) in it and turn up the volume to 75%. After a few months time I got over it.. And sleep calmy until today.. -aperture

Jennie said...

hi aperture :) that's exactly how I experienced it, white beings and gibberish. creepy, no? i'm glad we don't experience it now :)