ANIMO LA SALLE!!!

Thursday, September 30, 2004

I’ve had fever since Tuesday. I’ve looked and felt crappy, and today is the first time I’ve felt better in days. And what a day to get well. :D My Green Archers won the 67th UAAP Basketball crown in front of a jam-packed Araneta Coliseum! WOO-HOO!!!!

After Sunday’s disastrous Game 2, I was on pins and needles. Kilala ang FEU na nakakahabol from one game down and eventually winning the crown. But not this time. DLSU didn’t let them. Saludo talaga ako! It was college basketball at it's best.

Game 3's last two minutes were the most exciting ever. I was biting my nails, screaming my head off, alternately hugging and throwing the throwpillow, while texting my sister. OO, para akong lukaret. :p

I thought the win was in the bag with 5 minutes remaining and the Archers were leading by 10 points. But the Tamaraws never gave up. While FEU was able to catch up, DLSU's attempts wouldn't go in the basket. At 63-all and less than 30 seconds to go, FEU scored a basket. I thought it was all over but J-vee Casio answered with a 3 pointer, making it 65-66! During the break, I kept texting my sister, coz she & mom were still on the road.

After the time-out, FEU had ball posession, but the shot didn't go in the basket, and there was a foul underneath. With 2.2 seconds remaining, Mac-mac Cardona had 2 freethrow shots, afterwhich Araneta Coliseum erupted in jubilation. The Archers had won! Everyone at the green & white side were jumping for joy, screaming, crying & hugging each other. I would have loved being part of that crowd. :p Anyhoo, I was having a celebration by my lonesome in front of the tv and I momentarily forgot my sister was waiting for an update. hehehe!

Coach Franz Pumaren was awarded the Coach of the Year, a long overdue and well deserved one, not withstanding the controversy surrounding it. Mac Cardona was Finals MVP, an award he truly deserved.

Sad news though, Coach Franz said during the interview that this would be his last year coaching the Archers. :( Was it his way of getting back at the DLSU Board, who wanted to replace him midseason, when the team wasn't performing well in the first round? hmm.. I don't know. But I do hope he'd come back next year, I don't care what ever it takes. After all, he's the most successful DLSU Basketball Coach since DLSU moved from the NCAA to the UAAP, with 5 championships in 7 years.

I'm sure the LaSallian community will deal with that situation in due time, but for now... let the celebrations begin. D-LS-U... ANIMO LA SALLE!!

0 comments: