what's in a name?

Monday, June 21, 2004

Greetings first before blogging:

1. Belated Happy Father's Day to my popsie;
2. Belated Happy Birthday to one of my best friends, Maita;
3. Happy Birthday to Maita's husband, Gerbee; and
4. Advanced Happy Birthday to my nephew, Gian Carlo.

----------------

When I was younger, I used to wish that I had a different name. A unique name. I wished I didn't have namesakes coz JENNIFER is a very common name.

In all my years in school, from kinder till I graduated in College, there has never been a single class where I was the only Jennifer. In Kinder there were 2 of us, In Grade School, I once had a class where there were 4 other Jennifers and a Jenny. And the two other Jennifers had surnames starting with S, just like me. Sandiego, Sison & me, Sales. We had different nicknames, thank God! Sison was Jenjen, Sandiego was Jen, I was Jennie with an I-E, Jenny was Princess (hmmm...) and the other was called Jenny with a Y.

We were batchmates from Grade School to High School. Aside from the ones that I mentioned, I think there were two more in my batch. Eh paano yun, madami pang Jennifer sa ibang batch? Can you imagine the confusion? I used to look back or answer whenever I hear someone call out Jennifer or other derivatives of the name. Nakakahiya kung sumagot ako, di naman pala ako yung kausap. So now I don't answer immediately, I wait to be called 2 or 3 times, then ask, "ako ba?" Hahaha!

In High School, my barkada called me Jay or simply J, not only to distinguish me from my namesakes, but because that was my ultimate crush's nickname. Ahahahah! So for the latter part of highschool, I was Jay/J.

In College I was back to having the girly nickname Jennie, and the only ones that still called me Jay were my barkada and my batchmates in HS, who went to the same University I did. Surprisingly, even if theoretically we'd have different classmates in every subject, there wasn't a single class where there was no Jennie or Jenny, or Jennifer/Jeniffer/Jenifer.

When I started working, one of my guy friends called me Bebe (bebeh. weird). Another called me Jennie_bebe. Soon after that everyone at the office called me Jennie_bebe, even my Austrian boss. :p

In my family I am Ne, Je, Jepot or Jepotski (only my kuya has the license to call me that, but now he's shortened it to Jep :p), Jennie, Tejen or JENNIFER, when I'm in trouble :p.

I blame the popularity of the name Jennifer, not from the song (yes there is a song :p), but from the book/movie "Love Story" by Erich Segal. The main protagonists were Jennifer Cavileri & Oliver Barrett. Why do I say that? Well, I actually read about it :p. It said that the popularity of the name Jennifer peaked when the book and the movie came out. And because that's one of the reasons my parents named me Jennifer. After I read that article (or was it from a baby book?), I realized that was the reason ther were many namesakes my age. Hahahaha!

I was supposed to be named Rosemarie. No offense to the Rosemarie's out there, but I shudder when I think that I could have been named, Rosemarie. People who know me when they learn that I was supposed to be named that laugh and say that I do not look like a Rosemarie. They said that that name gives them a mental picture of a dainty girl, and that is definitely not me. Hehehe!

I've grown to love my name, even if sometimes friends call me J.Logs (jologs). And I may have hundreds, thousands or even millions of namesakes, I wouldn't want any other name. I don't recall when I realized I liked my name, all I know is that the name has become me. Did that make sense? :p

Besides, explaining the nicknames I have is a good icebreaker. :D

♥ JeN

----------------

The following song is my videoke staple song. hehehehe.. you could also call it my "signature videoke song". Itaga mo sa bato, basta nag-videoke kami, kelangan kantahin ko yan! Hihihi! Walang makakapigil (pwera na lang kung wala sha sa selection.) One time, my cousins and I went to Padi's Point Antipolo (I think it was my cousin Geng's birthday) and we stayed in the videoke room. When it was my turn to sing, naturally, I chose this song. And I got a perfect score. As in 100! Hahahaha! Eh sa tagal ba naman ng panahon na kinakanta ko ito, dapat lang noh. Nagsasawa na rin siguro sila na lagi ko itong kinakanta. Nyahahaha!

Weak
by SVW


I don't know what it is that you've done to me
But it's caused me to act in such a crazy way
Whatever it is that you do when you do what you’re doing
It's a feeling that I want stay

Coz my heart starts beating triple time
With thoughts of loving you on my mind
I can't figure out just what to do
When the topic here is you

(Chorus)
I get so weak in the knees
I can hardly speak
I lose all control
and something takes over me
In a daze, you look so amazing
It's not a phase
I want you to stay with me
By my side, I swallow my pride
Your love is so sweet,
it knocks me right off of my feet
I can't explain why your loving makes me weak

Time after time after time I try to fight it
Your love is strong it keeps on holding on
Resistance is down when you’re around,
Cries fading
In your condition I don't want to be alone

Coz my heart starts beating triple time
With thoughts of loving you on my mind
I can't figure out just what to do
When the cause and cure is you

(chorus)

Bridge:
I try hard to fight it
No way can I deny it
Your love so sweet
It knocks me off my feet

Chorus

-I get so weak-
Blood starts racing through my veins
-I get so weak-
Boy it's something I can't explain
-I get so weak-
Something bout the way you do
The things you do
It knocks me right off of my feet-
Can't explain why your loving makes me weak

Chorus-until fade

0 comments: